Wondering what to pack? Confused about airline baggage restrictions and fees? We’re here to help. Below you’ll find packing list recommendations, as well as links to baggage information for the airlines we travel with.
Airline baggage policies
Baggage restrictions and fees vary by airline. We’ve compiled a list of links
to our airlines’ respective baggage pages to help ease any confusion.
Keep in mind that some religious sites require that shirts cover the shoulders and arms, and do not allow shorts, short skirts, or flip-flops.
- Comfortable walking shoes and one pair of nicer shoes
- Shirts (short and long-sleeved)
- Bathing suit (if applicable)
- Dressier outfit (reserved for a special night out)
- Raincoat and/or umbrella
- Spare set of contact lenses/glasses (if applicable)
- ATM card (call your bank prior to departure to alert them of your trip; foreign purchases sometimes result in a hold on bank accounts)
- Credit card
- At least $50 converted to foreign currency of the first country that you’re visiting
- Pouch for storing money and passport under clothing
- An alarm clock (many hotel rooms won't have one)
- An adaptor/converter (available at travel stores)
- Camera with ample batteries (batteries can be expensive abroad)
- Passport—it's required on all our tours. Remember to bring a couple photocopies of it (in case it gets lost) and leave one copy at home
- Visas (if applicable)
- A copy of your tour itinerary
- A list of important phone numbers and addresses to send postcards home
- Copy of any prescriptions (Customs officials may want to verify that a container's contents match its label, so all medication should be carried in its original container.)
The EF backpack is a perfect carry-on bag. Here’s a short list of things you might need on the first day of the trip. These should be packed in the carry-on in case the checked luggage is delayed.
- Airline ticket
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (toothpaste needs to go in a one-quart Ziploc bag, and can't be bigger than 3 oz)
- Contact lens case/glasses (to sleep comfortably on the plane)
- A change of clothes (in case luggage is delayed)
- Any valuables